Monday, April 30, 2012

I did it...

I'm one of those very sentimental people... You give me something and I keep it forever...

Have had this candle from my grandmother since my mum gave it to me many, many years ago... My mum knows what I'm like... I'm a shocker! It has gone to four houses that we have lived in. Yep, it's not even straight! It's crooked as but I still love it :) It was from my Oma...

Today was my day of decluttering my candle supply. I had a few that I knew didn't light for long as well as some incense sticks that didn't light well enough to burn... Tossed quite a bit and rather chuffed with myself...

Then I came across the green candle... I had the perfectly sized container for it in one hand, so I took the candle with the other hand and actually light it!!! I watched the flame flare up and settle sown... I wondered just how old was the candle really? How long had my Oma had it before I got it? I knew it was from Austria too, so wonder where it came from...

I miss my Oma on occasions like these... I miss not being able to talk to her, play German Rummy (and cheat just like her lol) and I miss her not showing me how to cook and bake... It's also one of the many reasons why I make sure no matter what I try my very hardest to go my Mum's for any cooking and baking sessions... I see my Oma in her as she does her thing and I stand back and watch... I also miss the continues letter writing we used to do... Plain and simple - I miss her very much...

Today was about her... I am glad I light the candle. It made me feel close to her... It made me remember... The details of her face, her hands... The pearl earrings and necklace she always wore. Her beautiful wide wedding band that she had a beautiful sapphire set into. Her nails, her hands that worked hard all her life, Her laugh, her smile, me washing and drying her back, her hair she would have set by her hairdresser each month, even her loud snoring which she was incredibly good at... I'm so glad I have the memories... I wish my baby sister had them too...

Mind you I couldn't bare to have the candle go too long. It's in a safe place and I am determined that I will enjoy each time I light it :)

Cheers Damaris

No comments: