Nothing gets wasted at my house... Had sour dough crusts get a little too dry on the weekend. Put them into my lovely Thermomix! 30 seconds later... Lovely crumbs that I can use next time I make Rissoles or Chicken Schnitzels :)
For the next quarter of electricity metering, we have decided to wash our dishes by hand, to see what the difference is energy and money wise. We use a little more water but allot less energy, as there's no hot drying cycle when you do it by hand...
My eldest isn't too happy about having to dry but he'll have plenty of practice either way. My youngest gets his turn this week :)
Was lovely to dry dishes by candle light last night! Creates a lovely, calming atmosphere, which I like.
Slug farm! That's what my eldest calls his new venture :)
He got up this morning and turned over a heap of bricks for the chooks so that they could go to town with all the grubs underneath them. Then he decided the chooks needed an area set up, where he can get treats for them on a weekly basis!
So he hunted around the place and found a heap of unused house bricks, a paver and a tank inlet cover...
He arranged them, I watered around them and now we wait for a week to see what little slugs, grubs etc come up. The worms will be resettled in the raised garden beds :)
He's very happy with the end result and loved how the chooks kept following him as he moved bricks around, just in case there was a bug that might of been missed ;)
I wasn't liking the lack of height of my sourdough bread, so today I experimented and put a whole sourdough into each bread tin, instead of dividing one into two tins...
I got excellent rises both times, even though the weather was cool and without sun. I am totally impressed with the end results.
My youngest had a couple of pieces as a snack after dinner... He's also very happy. Now, he's full :)
Yep, this is how I make my bread from now on :) I'm rather happy that it hasn't taken me long to figure things out... Like I've said before, I was scared preciously. I didn't want to kill the starter. I didn't want to waste ingredients, just in case things didn't work out. But I've found that it is very giving.
I've been giving loaves away too and that makes me happy. On Friday, I'm giving away my first starter to a very special friend of mine. She's coming over with her three kids for morning tea :) Can't wait, love to share!
The box was given to me, from hubby, as a gift last week... Yesterday, I set it all up.
It's waiting and growing now in the bathroom, covered with a mat for the extra darkness the box needs... Will see in 7-10 days if there's mould that will grow up to be loads of mushrooms ;)
This is my third attempt and I really do hope I get more than a couple of handfuls of mushies... I would love the huge amount they talk about on the box thanks! Don't really know what to do other than follow the instructions... Here's hoping!
Our BBQ last night tasted so good! Hubby did a great job, while we watched and kept him company.
The cobs were cooked to perfection. Tasted even better as they were the sweet variety and on special :) The baby cos lettuces were on special too. We ended up with half each and the chooks got the scraps...
The Y-Bones and T-Bones were marinated and tasted so good. More of our steer to sustain us. Sausage has really been very good to us!
We still have three pieces of Y-Bone left which will be cut up for a future stew!
The whole dinner was just so beautiful! Great team work all round ;)
Yesterday, I knew I was going to try out this dough... It had intimidated me for a very long time... I was scared of it... Yesterday, I overcame that fear...
I stirred and kneaded by hand, as per instructions... In future, I will use the Thermomix :) Much more consistent that way.
Both the rises were done with the sun this first time. In future, I think I will use the oven for the second rise, to give the bread more height.
When I was given my starter, I was told the first few loaves would be a heavy lump and not really bread... Both my loaves turned out fluffy and light. A little heavier than normal bread but that's sourdough, so expected that anyway.
I'm so thrilled with the outcome. My whole family loves the bread. Am making more as we speak... Such a cheap way to make the bread and something so good for us as I know exactly what's in it!
Today, hubby and I will plant out more seeds. We will be more generous this time as the last lots we planted didn't eventuate with allot of sprouting :( Hopefully this time we will have better success...
One of the blinds that's on the hot house needed fixing. The bottom of the blind is weighted with a steel rod. That rod, in turn, is secured by stretchy straps.
The stitching had come undone... Hubby had previously tried gluing it back together but the blind has a special anti glue cover on it...
So I got out my needle and thread... The cotton fit through the largest needle I had. It took a while but was very pleased with the end result. Hubby then glued the stitching in place. It's going nowhere...
All fixed... Hubby's thrilled with the end result and so am I :)