Thursday, January 22, 2015

Sourdough...

I used to make the bread all the time... At the end of my last stint making the bread, I gave all of my starter to my Mum, who's kept it going...

I've now gotten some of that starter back again. I've reduced my hours at work and used to really enjoy making bread. I really wanted to get back to doing just that...

Today, after having the starter in the fridge for 5 weeks, I got the courage to try again. I was amazed that I'd forgotten so much of what I needed to do... It was actually daunting for me. 

With Mum's help (and four phone calls lol), I skimmed off the top layer and used the bottom part. I used measurements the first time but then used the correct weights instead. Just changing the way I did it made a huge difference from one starter to the next. Amazing to see :)

I'll grow it for the next couple of days... Building up a good starter. Just love that yeasty smell ;) I've got a spare in the fridge also. I grew the first one with the wrong flour too. 

I'm hoping that early next week, I'll make my first loaf... Can't wait for the smell... Ahhhh, heaven on earth!

Have so enjoyed exchanging receipes in the past with Mum and again this time... She really is a wonderful teacher... It's times like this I wish I lived closer... Thank you for your help and encouragement, Mum. I so appreciate it... And you xxoo

Blessings, 


Normal coloured liquid on top but gotten rid of all the same...



My new baby...

No comments: