Thursday, November 25, 2010

Soap making time...

My ingredients...

With Rolled Oats...

With Quick Oats...

This was my week to make sure that I did my soak making in time for Christmas. Just four weeks. I know... bit late as ideally the soap should cure for about six weeks. Four will have to do... This morning was the day... Joshua loved the smell of it.

This time I used a different recipe and am still chicken about using Lye... So I googled recipes without Lye and came up with one from 'The Notebook' that is easy enough even for kids to do it...

1 cup of Pure Soap Flakes
1 teaspoon of Sunflower/Olive Oil
1 tablespoon Rolled Oats/Quick Oats
2 drops of Essential Oil

I did two lots. One with Rolled Oats and one with Quick Oats so that I can see what the difference in texture is... I also used Sunflower Oil as that is what I already had. Had plenty of Soap Flakes from the last time I made soap last year. :)

So all you do is get the flakes and mix 1/4 cup of hot water with it, mix, put into microwave for 30 second intervals and stirring till smooth consistency. Then add the Oil, Oats and Essential Oil. Mix again and then put into oiled (I used spray oil) container. I used cake tins... Put aside with towel on top so it doesn't dry out too quickly and then just turn out after a day and then cut into whatever size you want. I will do square chunks as that way it is easier to hold in the palm of your hand. Then turn every day for the first week, then every second day till you use it...

Joshua asked at one stage if I was putting in the oats so people had something to eat while in the shower... Smarty pants. hehe

Will see how it turns out... Can't wait to use it. Now for Christmas all I have left to do is in the last week just before Christmas I need to make a whole heap of Fudge... Yummmm (Failsafe off course. :) hehe)

Cheers Damaris

No comments: