Thursday, November 13, 2014

Our new ladies...

Ex-Battery hens living here is something I've always wanted to try...

To give some hens the chance to be a chook. To scratch, dust bath, gobble up scraps, no pressure to lay, stretch their wings, pick their own food and sit under a bush... To be a chook!

I came across a Foundation that has been operating since 2009 and close by :) Another lady offered to bring me up my five ladies close to where I work. So blessed...

So yesterday, I came home after my shift with 5 new chooks. The boys and I got the orientation cage ready beforehand. Tim was home yesterday so he could help get the ladies into their new digs...

I was surprised when I saw them... They had most of their bodies already covered in feathers and knew how to get their own food and water :) Their first night was very uneventful. Today, I was even given two eggs! Yay!!! Didn't expect anything really for at least a week. And they were laid in the nesting box too :)

One thing is for sure... They love their food... :)

Am so happy that we've made the decision to have these ladies. I had been trying to stay with just purebreds but just couldn't say 'No'... They're only 18 months old so hope they'll be around for a long time yet ;)

Blessings,


Ladies busy with the food bowl...


Our first two eggs...

No comments: