Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Future babies, hopefully...

Guinea fowl eggs...

Last Saturday I had to go with Joshua and return a cage that I had used to transport fowl home last time I went to Brian's. So Joshua and I went off and gave it back to him and off course came home with plenty more little treasures. He is moving so this was my last chance really...

We got some Belgian's, purebred brown layers, silkies, Pekins, and three female guinea fowls. This is the last time I am attempting to have them. If they get eaten or run away again that is it for me...

We have them in a large cage and will keep them there for about a week to let them get used to their new home. You should have seen the male go off his tree. He was so happy to have them there and we let him go in with them in the end. He is one very, very happy fellow. :)

The next morning we found two eggs. They are definitely from the guinea fowl as they are the only ones in the large cage and Brian had shown me what they look like. They are rather rough compared to chook, geese or duck eggs. They are a little more oddly shaped as well...

The need resting for two days and then they can go in the incubator. So far we have three eggs. They were ones in the pipeline, so to speak I think and now we will probably have to wait for a while before they feel comfortable enough again to restart their laying... I hope we hatch some babies out. Will then take them to the Pig and Calf as they go nuts for them there. I don't want the little ones around anyway as the older ones generally don't get along with them.

So here is hoping we have success...

Cheers Damaris

No comments: