Sunday, March 20, 2011

Chooks loving the soaked doggy bikkies...

Poultry loving the dog biscuits...

A vet once shared some good advice with my lovely Sister-in-law... To get chooks to start laying again give them soaked dog biscuits... So as I am trying to get rid of some cheap dog food from my food drum I thought I would do just that... Have done it for the last three days and am hoping that it does the trick...

I have mostly three or more year old chooks and they are not laying allot. I have about 20 of them but am only getting about four or five eggs a day. Fine for just us but love to use extras and barter with them. Not that I am doing any of that at the moment. Last week I even had to buy a dozen. (Shudder...)

I have decided this morning too that I will cull quite a few of them... Probably all of them but Bruce and maybe a handful of hens that are the younger ones. They are getting to be too much of a chore for the boys and am tired of hearing the complaints when babies need to be tended to before and after school. So as soon as they are old enough they will be sold too...

Just hope that they start laying again before the culling begins. Will fill my freezer as well as a friend's and that is that it ultimately is about... Relying less on the supermarket and saving money at the same time... Can't wait to eat them though am not telling the boys that...

Cheers Damaris

No comments: