Sunday, February 14, 2010

Shining my sink...

Love to shine my sink...

One side of my kitchen...

A few months ago I joined a group online called 'Flylady' and 'The Organizer Lady'. These two sites have helped me immensely. From Flylady I got the organising journal that I have put in a folder and with that I have everything and every routine written down. If something happens to me, the house will still be cleaned and so forth. For me it was not a 'just in case something happens to me'. More of a lesson for me putting pencil to paper and committing to a new way of doing things. It has worked. I don't need her daily emails anymore and frankly after a daily dose of 'come and buy my stuff' have had enough.

The Organizer Lady I have kept around as she focuses on new things every day. She makes me think. She encourages me when I don't want to 'shine my sink'. For months I have been reading about doing that simple act and couldn't be bothered. Why have the sink completely dry and without any dishes if you are just gonna mess it up again anyway??? Well I did do it early last week and what a transformation it has made in me. I can't believe it. I didn't just want to have my sink neat and tidy but then the benches as well. The the drawers, cupboards, stove top etc, etc, etc.

Now my kitchen only has the oven left to be cleaned and under the sink and my baking dishes and I have redone my whole kitchen. And let me tell you it is big enough... I did eight draws and cupboards the other day in just two short hours. I was on fire... It was amazing and I loved it. The end result of those are already on here in a previous post but wanted to take the time to encourage you to try it as well. I must admit that I have always enjoyed cleaning and tidying up but lately it has been hard to feel motivated. This has done the trick and the rest of the house is in trouble... hehe

Others have since asked whether I can come and do theirs as well for them... Not really the point in learning to do it yourself. Not that I mind helping out. I don't at all and have done it many times before. The boys and Russell are also more careful now to wash up dishes now and put things away straight away. Timothy has a long way to go but the other two are sooo on board. They can see the difference it has made in me and how much happier and relaxed I am knowing that all is tidy. Knowing that if someone did drop in, I would not panic...It is amazing the sense of achievement that I feel when I go to leave my kitchen at night, knowing that nothing is left out, all it tidy and put away in its place. Leaves me very peaceful...

The two websites say to do things at 10 or 15 minutes at a time and that was great to do for a start but the bug of getting it done soon caught and I am on a roll. Joshua is about to have an operation on his nose, which means that we are restricted to staying home all day for a whole two weeks. I was dreading this at first. He is such an active little man but now am really looking forward to it as I have to stay home. I have no choice. So the house will get what it deserves. A huge declutter and rearranging. Timothy's room is a work in progress and should be completed tomorrow. There is my painting table and area to do, the woodpile needs decluttering. Doesn't even need to be inside at this time of year. It is way too hot for a fire... Then there is my walk-in-robe... My three linen cupboards can do with a straightening up and my mending pile needs to be done once and for all. It has been hanging around for way too long... So there you have my 'To do' list. I am accountable now and will update you on how I go. :) I can't wait... Let the challenge commence. :)

Cheers Damaris

No comments: