Sunday, September 12, 2010

Frogs are calling...

Oh, I soooo wanted to see a frog...


This little fellow was on our house wall couple of weeks ago... :)

When I planted out the potatoes last Tuesday, I also took the opportunity to go over our 8 acres as I wanted to see what sort of plant life we have after the winter and after the cows have now gone 9 months... I found a large bush right at the back, lots of native grass which Land for Wildlife says is very good for local species and quite a few of those horrible weedy bushes that have horrible heads on them with thousands of seeds in them. The seed heads pop when you squish them with your hands. Sounds like fun at the time but they make it allot harder for the next few years pulling out the baby plants. I pull those out whenever I see them.

I also found allot of water sitting behind one of our contour banks. In it there was a heap of reeds growing and all I could hear was frogs talking to one another in the middle of the day. Was wonderful to listen to :)

Was trying to be really, really quiet to see if I could see one but alas they knew I was there. In the distance I could still hear them croaking but not near me. Am so happy to have found their little playground though. Hope it doesn't dry up too quickly for them... Hope they lay eggs and have babies. :)

Cheers Damaris

No comments: