Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Chooks Galore...

Chooks having a drink from the house's overflow pipe...


When we first moved here two years ago today, we always intended to have our chooks. We had had them at our last place and some of our girls were waiting at my brother's place to come home.

I love having chooks. Their antics are an amusement to us all and I also love the eggs that they lay. Currently we have six chicks, two of which are definitely roosters as they keep facing off at one another and 38 other chooks. They may be normal brown and white layers, black layers and a whole heap of bantams as well. Mind you half of them are roosters...

In the coming weeks I am cutting down to two large roosters, one that is Bruce, he has to stay and the white one as Timothy has laid claim to that one. From the bantam roosters I am only keeping two of three of them as well. I need to stop feeding the ones that don't lay. hehe
A joint family decision has also been that we can't eat our own roosters. The boys refuse to eat them. So they will be going to the Pig and Calf on a Wednesday to see what we can get for them. Alot of them are really lovely coloured and all are gentle. I hope we get something for them. More than the $1 each that I got for my last two duck drakes I sent off to the Pig and Calf...

Currently we are getting 10 eggs a day. Half of them are bantam eggs and Timothy takes great delight in measuring them to see what the smallest egg is. The record to beat at the moment is 4.5cm. We will see what today brings. He loves the chooks as much if not more than I do. Thought I had a fetish but he is just obsessed with them. I love to see him interacting with them. He spent hours out there with them, feeding them and talking to them yesterday. He does this most days.

I hope he never grows out of that habit. I love watching him and the chooks. It is sooo cute!

Cheers Damaris

No comments: