Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Closing of one window and opening of another...

Time to go to their old home...
Even hay and the milking machine went as well...
Rooster crowing on top of Sausage yesterday morning...

Today has been a tough day. After going into town early this morning and getting some fruit and other things I quickly raced home again, doing only the speed limit off course. I was waiting for some very important and lovely people to come to my place.

These lovely two people, Judith and Terry have taught Russell and I so much over the last 1.5 years. So much about care for bovine and how to look after them. When we got the two girls, Lavender and Lorray, Lorray was pregnant and Lavender was still on her mum, Lilly.

Now nearly two years later we have had bloat here that Lorray survived thank goodness, Sausage had the runs twice, we have two births and I milked. Today we said Good bye to our cows...

It has taken a while to come to this conclusion and it was not made lightly. It took me a long time to get to this stage and actually talk about it out loud. I still can't believe that they are gone.

We will visit off course as they are only 1.5hrs drive away. We are part of the Magrita Dexter Stud family now. Who knows one day we may have some back again but for now we have to look forward to the future.

When we first got here we knew that we had to plant alot of trees, bushes and shrubs. There are still none here. Sausage and now also Chloe got into them any chance that they got and unfortunately currently we don't have the money to upgrade the infra structure in order to keep them out properly. The electric fencing was not doing its job either. The mums were fine but the calves were a problem for us.

We will still have Sausage for the freezer and another one in exchange for Chloe when the time comes. Russell was not here but the boys and I certainly have had our crys good bye.

I will miss them all... I will always have a very soft spot for them. We though needed to do the right thing by them. That was most important. I still do feel like a failure but as Judith said: "At least you tried". Better than not trying at all.

On a brighter note, tonight our front gate is open for the first time in about a year. Oh how nice it is not to have to get in and out of the car all the time for the gate. :)

Cheers Damaris

1 comment:

Paddy said...

Hi Damaris,
Yes, at least you tried. I know how you felt about the cows eating your trees and shrubs. We are having a hell of a time with our CHICKENS!!!! We have clipped their wings and fenced them in, but somehow they keep getting into my vege garden urgh!!! Everything was looking lovely, lush and plentiful, that was until they got in and ripped up my peas, ate all the tops off my turnips, carrots and parsnips, demolished the lettuce and grazed on the broad beans. Not to mention the tomatoes in pots, they didn't eat them, just dug huge holes in the soil ripping them out as they went. I was sooooo angry. I told them they would all end up as sunday roast lol.....
Paddy