Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Square Foot Garden update...

Square Foot Garden bed...
Water Chestnuts in their barrel...

For the last couple of days we have had terribly hot weather. The breeze that we always get here, as we are on a hill, was not too bad but still fairly warm all the same.

This morning I went out to have a look at how the garden bed was faring as I had not been out there for... oops about a week. I had not even thought about them. Not having had a veggie garden for so long I am still getting used to actually looking after it.

Went out and had a look at the plants and was soooo surprised that all of them were fine and growing. The soil was a little cool and not dried out at all. When I did water them the water soaked right in. Obviously really good stuff we have in there... Love the stuff.

The corn has not shot up as fast as I would have liked but it is allot later in the season then when we last put it in. At least they have not died. Tomato bushes have a couple of flowers on even. That I liked to see. :) They are cherry tomato so doubt they will make it into the kitchen from when I pick them. I love them so much...

I also checked out how the water chestnuts were doing. Last season I put in 6 corms I think. I never ended up digging them out as the pot dried out and it was like concrete. Anyway beginning of this season it rained a couple of times, not much just enough to cover the soil... And Hey Presto... Stalky leaves started coming up. So now I have more than ever which I am very happy about. I make sure the water is kept up to them and when they are ready to harvest this time I will make sure that there is still water in there as it should be allot easier to get them out. Can't wait to have them. Yummy!!!!

Cheers Damaris

No comments: