Saturday, October 23, 2010

Love my worms...

My beloved wormfarm...

I panicked... Last Friday night we had a horrible night... Winds up to 95km/h and heavy rain on top of that. We were very fortunate and didn't loose power like so many others did...

I didn't go out into the backyard on the Saturday to inspect damage as I could see from the windows that all was still ok.

On the Sunday I went out the backyard to see what flowers I could pick and bring in... Was also checking on the veggies... And there I saw it... Oh Noooooo, it couldn't be...

Yep the worm farm had lost its lid and was about 10 metres away from its container... I was very worried that I had lost 6 months worth of hard work of growing my little guys... I pulled back the covers, mainly old wet newspaper and inspected the first layer... Sure enough there was nothing there...

Looked at the other two layers and there they were, all however many of my worms... I put some water through the unit to moisten them so that they didn't dry out from all that wind. Minced a whole heap of old bread and veggies and covered the whole top layer with the food. That will draw them up to the top layer so that I can use the bottom layer. That by the way was rather wet... Must Google and find out why that is. It shouldn't be as soggy as it has been lately... Still plenty of worms of all sizes though. Yay!!!

Happy girl here :) :) :)

Cheers Damaris

No comments: