Friday, August 27, 2010

Bowing to pressure...


For a while now I have had just a press dial phone in the kitchen and a cordless phone in the Study. I keep that one in the Study as we make our phone calls through VOIP (Voice over Internet Protocol). We make our calls through the Internet which is saving us a fortune actually. :)

Last weekend Russell changed around the cables on the computer to isolate the ones that were drawing power while not actually turned on. ie Speakers, computer, monitor etc etc. I didn't realise that they were still drawing power if they were not on but the switch at the wall socket was on... Things you learn when you have a power meter to tell you these things. Now I can switch on the Internet on its own and not draw power for the rest. Yay!

So we also changed the VOIP to be just over our mobiles. We have just changed over our ADSL to ADSL 2+ and this meant that one of the phone filters was not working at its best. So the cordless has been placed out in the kitchen area and I have bowed to... not pressure but a certain amount of hint giving shall we say, mostly from my little sister... (God love her :)) that I also put a cordless phone in the bedroom. That was my intention anyway... Both the phone batteries were getting on so I knew that they would need replacing. That I did for $58 the other day. I get home and one is working fine now but the other battery is not working at all...

So now I have to go back today, get another battery and then charge that one for 24 hours before it will be of any use. That one is going into the bedroom... While I know it will make life easier to have it there I don't like it that it draws the power. I am trying sooooo hard to reduce the usage not increase it. At least I don't have to bolt at night in the dark for the phone anymore. I guess you have to weigh up your options... Still don't much like the usage but am sure I will get over it...

Cheers Damaris

No comments: