Friday, September 11, 2009

New Beginnings...

Our newest lot of Chicks and Ducklings...

Over the last week we have had new additions on our little hobby farm. Monday last week we had Chloe born, that is the heifer calf's name now...

Then from the Tuesday since we have had six chicks and seven ducklings being born. The boys have loved watching them come out of their shells. I must admit to checking the incubator quite frequently as well just to make sure that there wasn't another little body to move to the brooder.

Daisy is due with her eggs on Saturday and we are all looking forward in great anticipation as to how many hatch and that they will be OK.

The miracle of life is quite amazing really. You get a yolk and egg white and in there is all that is needed that turns it into a chick in just three weeks. Amazing. And the miracle doesn't stop there either. The amount of growing that they do in such a short period of time is just amazing for me.

I met a lovely lady yesterday and she is after chooks. Only hens. This lot of girls, depending on how many she would like will be going to her, I think... Roosters can go in the freezer. Most of my bantam roosters will be going up for sale soon. I just need a couple more to grow up so I can pick whether they are male or female. Due to their small size it is rather hard to tell. Their combs are so similar. Have to therefore wait for a crow or spurs...

So here is to new beginnings. I love them. They let me know at this time of year that Spring has sprung...

Cheers Damaris

No comments: