Saturday, September 12, 2009

We are Champions, in my humble opinion anyway...

My beautiful electricty meter...

On Wednesday I watched as the meter man came and took our reading and have been waiting very, very patiently for my electricity bill. I have been itching to find out what we have used. I know as I do daily readings what kWh amount we have been using but I wanted to know what the amount was as I didn't know how much electricity had gone up by. All I knew was that it was up as of 1 July 2009.

Well, yesterday I eagerly checked my mail and there it was. That wonderful, precious envelope that would tell me how we had done for the last three months...

Our last quarter we used 1156kWh and it cost us $233.10. Just after our last bill was when I got an electrician out from Warwick and Marty was able to change my solar hot water to actually be solar hot water. What had happened was that during the building process the electrician at the time just wired the pump and solar booster in as one. Not separately. This means that as we are on tank water we needed the pump on all the time. But that also meant that the solar booster was on all the time. Lovely great hot water but the solar was not being used at all. Such a pity. I argued with the builders for ages and they would not come to the party and get it done for me, even though I had asked for them separately before signing the contract. Unfortunately for me I didn't check to see that it was in the contract. It was not. So I got it done myself in the end and was the best $210 I ever spent. Our water most days is actually hotter than with the booster, and no it doesn't need turning on anymore. Just the way I like it...

OK, so to my brag... We have had our No Technology Monday's and Low Electricity Wednesday's for the whole time as well and our usage was down to..... wait for it.... 896kWh and the total of the bill is $210.75.

I can't believe it... I am sooo proud of my boys and I. Russell is really proud of us as well. He was not here for any of the Monday's or Wednesday's except a couple of them so he knew we had put in a huge effort to reduce our usage. The boys are also allot more aware just what goes into saving now and it is a habit.

Our electricity went up 15.67% as at 1 July 2009, which I think is terrible. I just can't wait for my solar electricity to come now. I am checking on the process of my application with the Government Department during this week and will post as to where we are up to. Can't happen soon enough but I also realise that I will probably have to wait for another six months or so.

I am thinking now of other ways to try and save kWh's now. Not only are we saving money and then some as well as building a better knit family unit but we are also doing our little bit at this end in helping the environment and that is what it is mainly all about. Any of your hints would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers Damaris

No comments: