Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Welcome to our beautiful world...

Here I am world... 1.35pm, 31.8.09
My mum's milk is yummy...

Over the weekend have been keeping a very close eye on Lavender as she was due to calve today. Since Sunday she had separated herself from Lorray and Sausage so thought it was probably going to happen pretty soon.

Yesterday, I saw that her tail was rather crooked so went to investigate. She was at the top of the paddock off course. Why make it easy for me??? No, it was not about me I realise this. She felt safe up there so that is where she had her calf.

Our beautiful heifer calf was born at 1.35pm yesterday. She is just beautiful. I was very privileged to be able to see all of the birth and must say was over rather quickly. Lavender did such a fantastic job. I am soooo proud of her.

We have not given the calf a name just yet. It seems harder putting a heifer in the freezer than a steer calf. What is with that? They were both just adorable when born.

One thing that my boys will always remember is when Lavender ate the afterbirth. That will stick in their minds for a LONG time. They thought it was the most disgusting thing. Once I explained to them that she is getting the nutrients back into her body and why she was eating it all, they could understand and where proud of her. Amazing what instincts that God gives these animals.

The calf went for the teats straight away and had a great feed. Must say it was much easier for her then it was with Sausage. I am very happy this morning also as I didn't even have to get up during the night (Yes had frost again) to reunite mum and bub. Lavender will make a fantastic mum and seems that have calmed her down allot already...

Will be keeping a very close eye on both for now as we have wild dogs and foxes here and don't want anything to happen to her.

Sausage kept trying to stomp on the calf yesterday so have put him and Lorray in the cow yard for a couple of days so the calf can get confident on her feet and then will reintroduce them.

Lavender is walking around this morning with her and coming down for food and water which is also great to see. My dog, Bailey new something was different about the sight of the two straight away and started barking... He will settle as he gets used to the new addition.

Off to check on them again, for the umpteenth time... :)

Cheers Damaris

2 comments:

Emma said...

How wonderful! Congratulations :) I am a lurker who spotted your blog and recognised the region. I spent three years living at the Freestone school house when I was around 11 - 14 years old. I love all the country charm of your blog.

Dalinz said...

Hi Emma, Thanks. Love Freestone too. We were origionally looking to buy there but couldn't settle on a block and then right at the right time found this one at Maryvale. So love it here. Love the place, the people and the fresh air...

Cheers Damaris