Saturday, June 6, 2009

Animals interactions

Sausage teasing Bailey as he knows he can't get him...

Don't know about you but I love to watch our animals interacting with one another.

Over the last few weeks my gander, Chuck has gotten really close with my Cavalier Bailey. Not on the friendly type either. You see they don't get along. Whenever Bailey sees Chuck, he barks at him which invites Chuck up to try and take a bite out of him. The closer to the yard fence that Chuck gets, the louder the barking and carrying on from Chuck. It is sooo funny to watch them...

Bailey also loves having a go at Sausage, our calf. He barks at him and mum, Lorray comes charging up at his as if to say, "You stay away from my baby!" The calf just looks at him and gets closer to sniff him. He is very curious.

I also love to watch the chooks. They are so funny. Love to hear them clucking away. Bruce, the Rooster is wonderful in his little antics if he finds some food for his girls and let them know about it. The babies love running up to me as if to ask for food whenever I am near their chookhouse. Go find your own food, you have 8 acres to run around on, I say...

The ducks keep quacking away, and heaven help the geese when they try to break up Quack and Beauty (mum and dad ducks) when they are mating. The geese get upset and make a racket but the ducks still keep going at it :)

It is funny watching the chooks and ducks fighting over the dead mice at the moment as well. They launch themselves at the pile I throw out of a morning and at intervals whenever I happen to go to the shed to check for more and to reset traps. Over the last (nearly) three weeks we have caught about 300 mice and still get a handful every day. Today I left out two buckets of milk for the chooks, geese and ducks to let the sun curdle the milk (so they don't get the runs) and ended up with three drowned mice in the buckets. Well done I say and didn't even plan that one.

They keep me very amused and love to share with the kids what the animals have been up to. They also love to hear about it...

Cheers Damaris

No comments: