Thursday, June 11, 2009

We have Frost...

Frosty leaves this morning at around 7.45am

When the boys and I went to bed last night it was rather chilly and had been blowing a gale all day. The wind just cut thru you as you walked around outside. Milking that night was not so fun...

The fire kept us very warm and we went to bed nice and cozy. This morning when I got out to milk, there was frost everywhere. You could see it in the distance even. Bright lovely sky and frost everywhere. Amazing. It is wonderful to see. Funny to watch the cow try to drink when there is a 2mm thick sheet of ice on top of the water trough. No, ok not so funny but was...

I was very happy to get out of the cold and milk in the shed this morning. I put my head on Lorray and she kept that part of me warm at least. Feet froze and was very happy to get back inside. Lorray is being nice again... Two nights ago I went to milk her and all of the sudden there were two heads wanting some food. Yep you guessed it, Sausage got out of the cow yard. Lorray must have knocked open the latch. Now there are bricks in front of it so that won't happy again, I hope... He didn't drink from her that night but by the morning there was no milk for me to collect and she kept kicking me. She wanted him to have it... So now he is in the yards again and I need to wean all over again... I thought he would be ok as he had been apart from mum for 7 weeks but not this little one.

This morning when I took the boys to school just before 9am I still had ice on my windshield. I love the crackle under my feet too when walking on the ice. Reminds me so much of Austria... Ah it was good being a kid back then. You didn't have to worry about chopping wood or keeping warm or worrying about things that adults had to worry about. You just went out and had fun.

I can already see that my crocus and canna lillies didn't fare so well last night as they have been burnt on the leaves and stems. They will hopefully recover. Alot more of this all to come... I didn't go to see how the vegies fared and will see that tomorrow. Hope they are fine. :)

Cheers Damaris

No comments: