Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Remembering my Oma...

I honour my Oma by using the candle...

Whenever my Oma (my Mum's Mum) would come to Australia to visit she would always bring some goodies with her. The times I went back to Austria she would also give me goodies to bring home with me... She has been gone a number of years now but I treasure her old belongings very much...

This candle I have had since before I got married and therefore have had it a little while (over 17 years)... I used to think that I should hold onto things from her and treasure them from afar but I have changed my thinking allot lately...

Many years ago I started using the cutlery set she gave Russell and I for our Engagement Present. I couldn't handle them coming out of the box to begin with but wouldn't have them anywhere else but in my cutlery draw now as whenever I use it I think of her. Same with when I see Irises... She is always there...

The candle has angels all over it and is supposed to be used at Christmas time. I am using it now. :) Always been a bit of a rebel or as some would say, the black sheep in the family. If there was mischief to get up to I would be the leader... hehe

The candle was a hard one to bring out and use though, I must admit. Cutlery, sheets, doilies etc you can see them for a long time while using them but with a candle it slowly disappears... That is now what is happening with mine. I have had it for so long so am trying to make it last and it is doing a great job. It is a non drip candle which is also handy but I usually will light it each night while Russell is not home. That is three nights a week. I turn the lights off in the power box so we don't use them and use candles instead... I love the atmosphere and the shadows that they throw. It also ensures that you slow down and relax more, which is important after a hard day at school or at home.

I am really starting to like lighting it but am not looking forward to the day it is completely gone...

Cheers Damaris

1 comment:

Donna said...

I think it's wonderful that you are enjoying the things she gave you! I am sure she wouldn't want them stored away somewhere,though I know it's hard when someone passes to use the things they gave us. Good for you,enjoy them and let them bring you good memories!
Donna
www.littlecottageinthecountry.blogspot.com