Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Sewing...

Making new hand towels from an old towel...

The finished product...

I must admit it has been quite a while since I last had my sewing machine out and making full use of it. Today, with all the rain that we are having at the moment (200ml in 48hrs) I thought that it would be a good opportunity to get rid of my mending pile...

I did really well. I got rid of it. Not by doing it all though. hmmm, I actually got rid of things that I knew would not last anymore even if I did stitch them up, again... So they are off to the pile of things that can't be rescued and will be used as filling for the boys' Target. Photos of that one will come later when it is done. :)

A while ago I had cut up an old towel. It had allot of wear in it still but some of it was rather worn. I couldn't bring myself to throwing it out so cut it into four pieces. One could not be saved and it went to the shed. The other three just needed two sides finished off with the sewing machine and hey presto, three 'new' hand towels. They look great too... Will wash them before using them so that the ends come lose a little and the little fiddly bits don't flake everywhere. Other than that they are done. I was able to give new life to a dress from a friend as well and that was satisfying. :)

I have that to do with a tablecloth as well. It was square so I cut it in half and then half of the other half I was able to use also. The other half had candle wax on it and could not be saved... But they make a new nice doily and small tablecloth. I just have to round off the edges properly and then finish them off with the machine.

That is what I love about being at home. When you have something that is no longer useful in it originated state you can always turn it into something else that is useful. Items in one's home don't have to be use a few times and throw away. I hate to throw away and make sure that there is absolutely nothing else I can do with it before I do. I like it that way. It saves Russell and I allot of money. Things can always be given a new life such as a spade, etc. But one has to also look after things as well. Allot of things are made these days with the mindset that we can always just throw it out and get another. That is not how we work in our home. We buy the best we possibly can and then look after it as best as we can also.

I like being stingy with my money. Why should I give it to a company that is only out to make profits. Why bring something into my home that will only clutter it up anyway. When I am out shopping, which I do as little as humanly possible, I always ask myself... Do I REALLY need it? Even if I hesitate, I leave it.

Used to feel that if I walked into a shop I had to buy something... Not anymore. I want proof first that they deserve my money. That is the way I look at it and that is helping us get ahead. :)

Cheers Damaris

2 comments:

Donna said...

I have given you the Sunshine Award!
http://littlecottageinthecountry.blogspot.com/2010/03/thanky-you.htm
have a nice day! Donna

Ann at eightacresofeden said...

This is a great idea Damaris. My old towels usually end up as floor mopping up cloths but I'm going to check them over next time to see if I can create some hand towels... just need to dust off the sewing machine. Hope you and your gardens are enjoying this rain!