Tuesday, March 23, 2010

What to do, how to do it...

My pantry as it is now...

My pantry is large by any means. I needed it that way as I get more and more into preserving as well as cooking everything from scratch. Russell and I are going through the motions at the moment of preparing our little family for the elimination Diet that we want to start after Easter holidays. That should be different... We tried it years ago and did not succeed but want to give it another really good go to see what difference it makes. I have been too cranky lately and Joshua is not going well in that area either. Would be fantastic to settle down Timothy as well. Who knows what difference it could make. The "Fed Up" book by Sue Dengate is what we are going by and hope to do allot more reading before giving it a go.

So this means also that we have allot of 'stuff' to get rid of. Over the weekend the boys took care of the last of the 2 minute noodles and Easy Mac Cheese packets... All the biscuits have to go as well. So because we are doing this I am also in a dilemma that I don't like the layout of the pantry and where things are. I don't like the stuff that is on the floor and don't want to share it with the ironing board anymore either. These things just have to go. So where to put it... I don't know. I need a cupboard that has room for the vacuum, steam mop (that is coming in the post) and ironing board plus iron. Then I have to find a place of where to put that cupboard, laundry I think. Nope don't have room for it there either... Oh the pain of it all...

I can't wait as over the holidays we get rid of more food to ensure that we are ready for this new challenge. It will be a huge one. Not so much that we won't be able to eat out as we don't generally anyway but more the premade groceries we will not be buying. As I get more of an understanding of it all I will write more, don't worry...

I just know that I want to change my pantry around. Some things have to go and some things just have to be moved around. Where to start...

Cheers Damaris

2 comments:

Ann at eightacresofeden said...

I've read Sue Dengate's book and she sure makes a lot of sense. One of the local primary schools implemented her suggestions and teachers noticed a huge difference in the behaviour of the students.
We cut out all the artificial ingredients years ago. Haven't looked back and 2 minute noodles now make us cringe... they seem so stodgy now. Discovered organic Japanese ramen noodles and the kids love these with our stirfries.
I wish my pantry was as big as yours, mine is too narrow and deep and I have to pull out all the jars to reach the ones at the back.
Have you ever been to visit the prudenthomemaker.com? She lives in LA and gardens in the desert. Her pantry is incredible and they lived out of their pantry when her husband was without work for almost a year. Her story is inspiring. There are healthy recipes at her site and lots of tips for pantries. I'm also reading 'The Art of Kitchen Design' by Johnny Grey. He is considered to be the world's top kitchen designer. Lots of excellent ideas. He's a big believer in pantries and understands what kitchens are really about. I borrowed this book from my local library and am reluctant to return it. Going to buy it for myself when we get on to building a new pantry. One of the other changes re: health I made was to swap plastic for glass in my pantry.
All the best with the new diet, I am sure it will make a difference.

Dalinz said...

Thanks for the info Ann, will look both up. :)

We have a number of books now from the library and some coming from Fishpond. Can't wait to get into it all. :)

Cheers Damaris