Friday, August 21, 2009

Duck roast...

The duck, resting before going in the freezer...

This morning a lovely couple from Maryvale came and got my old mattress off me. They also took all the linen that I had taken out of my linen closet and had earmarked for Charity. They will put it to good use I am sure...
They stuck around and then I mentioned that I was 'processing' a drake today... I was asked if I wanted some help... I did not say no. I loved having their help actually as they have done it many times and I have previously only done a chook, not a duck.
I ended up gutting it and that was really a very strange feeling. Very warm. The dogs loved the wings, innards and feet too. Yummy treat for them...
I ended up skinning it as well and ended up with a great looking duck that is currently resting on the kitchen bench and will shortly go into the freezer. Russell said there is no way that he is eating it so will not have it for the Sunday roast that I had planned but the two boys and I will have it on Monday when Russell is not here.
Must say though I am really thankful for the advice and help in getting this duck ready for the freezer. Thanks again... Can't wait to eat him now. Will let you know how he tasted. This meal will be really special as it will also have our homegrown potatoes and carrots in with the duck. Our first Complete homegrown meal. Woohoo... That is what it is all about for us here...
Cheers Damaris

No comments: