Thursday, August 13, 2009

I think I am hooked...

Timothy looking for more rock treasures...

The agate that I am working on at the moment...

Timothy and I spent the usual Wednesday afternoon at the Warwick Lapidary Club. He had fun looking at what just might be new as far as rocks at the club were concerned. He loves looking through all the buckets of rocks to see what little treasures he can find...
So I thought I would also have a go. Why have Timothy have all the fun??? We have a family membership anyway so I knew I was covered as far as being allowed to try out some stuff. And so I did. I actually had a ball. Was not fun that Timothy wouldn't stay with me as I need to supervise him because he is under 18 years of age and he was too interested in seeing what others were doing.

We got one of the lovely men to cut a thunder bird egg in half for us. That was rather exciting. Another lady helped us with rounding off the sharply cut edges. And then we put it on the wheel with grit so that we could get the cut edges nice and buffed. We used the grit number 80 and 200. We still have 400 and 600 to go and then we can polish the cut rocks and see what we come up with. There is allot of agate in them so should look really nice.

The other thing that I did was glue a stick onto a round cut piece of rock and I am shaping it currently. Will put up a picture when it is more 'done'. I think this might be a way to go as far as Christmas presents are concerned. Will be practicing allot along the way but think I can do it.

One thing I love about the Warwick Lapidary Club is that everyone that has been there and doing it for so many years, and some have been there for 40 odd years, are sooooo willing to help you along the way and show you what to do at each of the stages. For them it is exciting to have young people interested in something such as rocks and for us learning it is wonderful to have the expertise at your fingertips, so to speak. I can't thank them enough for the help that they have given us so far. Have just yesterday renewed our family membership for another year and they are happy to have us, as Ann said. I love it there. So friendly and willing to help us learn what we need to.

I know that Timothy feels right at home there. He loves it too...

Cheers Damaris

No comments: