Saturday, August 8, 2009

Ooooops, Damaris...

Trailer load of Lucerne hay... all 19 of them

I did a fantastic job on the tyre hey???? NOT... Not one puncture either.

What a wonderful day it started out to be. The sun has been shining here beautifully for a week or more now. No cloud in the sky. Just lovely little hobby farm animals around the place. Picked up a duck egg this morning as well. Was wonderful...

That was until I went to get Lucerne hay... We usually have about 12-15 bales in the back. They are heavily packed and I get loads of biscuits out of just the one bale. With three bovines I end up using 1.5 a week, if that. Anyway back to my story...

I was loaded up with 19 bales... yes 19 bales! Only thought about it on the way home, Oh that might be too much of a load... Well it was. Got 10 minutes from home, still on the Cunningham Highway, and there I could feel something funny... sounded weird, smelt weird, ooops I had best stop. So I did, saw that I had shredded the tyre totally and there was no way I was getting home on that. So pulled off the road as far as I could and rang Russell. Thank goodness I have a mobile (used for emergencies only and this was one of them.) He came out with the kids and they sat in one of the cars mainly.

Funny thing was that when Russell was changing the tyre for the trailer, he had stated to the boys that he had not done that before, and sure enough he put it on the wrong way...

Then we got it on the right way, checked the pressure and it was below 20psi. So had to keep pumping till both were 35psi till we could go. Oh and yes some of the bales went into the car boot instead of staying on the trailer, seeing it couldn't cope with the extra weight and all that...

So now we are off sometime soon to get two new tyres and use the other working one as a spare... grrrrr. So all in all a good lesson learnt...

Don't overload the trailer and make sure that the tyre pressure is correct and what it should be.

Cheers Damaris

No comments: