Thursday, July 16, 2009

Goose Eggs, If only they were golden...

Daisy's first egg for the season...

Woke up the other day and went to go milking... Got outside the house gate and there was Chuck, the gander, rather upset at me. Looked around and there was an egg that Daisy had laid. They are rather large and fit well into the hand.

Can't say that I have eaten them before because I haven't. Have eaten duck and chook eggs but not geese eggs. Don't really intend to either...

She has now laid a second one. The first one she laid beside the solar hot water storage container. The other in between the chookhouse and the chickhouse. Go figure. How she intended to keep both warm I will never know... I moved them to an empty dog house and hope she lays another couple until she goes on the lay. That way I can show her where her potential babies are.

Last year was the first time that we had them here laying. She sat very well on three of them for the 28 days required. She is a good mum. Problem was that one was a dud, nothing in it... the second one was born with its stomach outside its body and the last was born with splayed legs. The last one was taken within about two hours of it being outside. Crows from what we can gather but would not have survived anyway. Shame could have made a nice dinner eventually...

Hope this time we are more successful. Chuck is a proven breeder so if this time turns out bad then we will put her in the oven and get another Daisy. I have my suspicion that they may be brother and sister which would not be good to breed from anyway. Will see how we go. Am hoping all goes well. Will know in a month I guess.

Cheers Damaris

No comments: