Saturday, July 25, 2009

Still milking Lorray...

Lovely warm, frothy milk from Lorray... YUM

About a week ago I started not milking in the morning. I still give the cows their lucerne of a morning but no grain and milking for Lorray. Giving her a break is good for her condition during winter I am sure and nice break for me as well...

She has gotten used to it and has taken it well. She had a show this week and even tried to mount her own calf. Funny watching that. He didn't know what on earth was going on... She was calling allot for a bull though... Will try and organise for her to be AI'ed I think. Can't have a bull here at the moment as there is just not enough in the paddock and already feeding three. That's enough for us...

Lorray loves it when I come and relieve her of the pressure in the udder though. She stands there straight away not moving. She gets rather antsy after a while as it is taking longer then it used to but need to take about 3 litres of milk out of her to make her comfortable. I used to take 2 litres morning and night. This has had a good side effect in the fridge wise. I am not throwing away any milk anymore. I love that part. I used to let it curdle for the chooks as they love that and is very good for them as well... Such a waste though in my opinion... Friends live to far away to just drop it off as well so now we are not wasting it anymore. Got to be happy about that...

Cheers Damaris

No comments: